|CHARLES d'AUTREMONT, JR.
CHARLES d'AUTREMONT, JR.
The story of the origin of Charles D'Autremont, Jr., of Duluth, has all such elements of romance and tragedy as are expected in the lives of descendants of participants in the affairs of France at the time of the revolution. Duluth is indebted to the Reign of Terror for one of her most prominent citizens. Mr. d'Autremont's great grandmother was Mme. Jeane d'Ohet d'Autremont. She was the widow of Hubert d'Autremont, and with her three sons, Louis Paul, Alexander Hubert and Auguste Francois Cecile, escaped from France in 1792, and settled on a tract of land previously acquired on the Chenango River, in the state of New York. They had been there but a short time when they removed to a colony called Asylum, established by French Royalists in Pennsylvania, on the Susquehanna river, near the present town of Towanda. A few years later the oldest son, Louis, returned to France with Talleyrand in the capacity of secretary to that great statesman. He afterwards visited England and portugal as a representative of the French government. When Napoleon in 1800 granted amnesty to the emigrants who left France during the "Reign of Terror," the colony of Asylum was abandoned, nearly all its inhabitants returning to France. But Mme. d'Autremont, with her two remaining sons, went
back to the Chenango, where they remained until 1866, when, having purchased a tract of land on the Genesee river, they moved to Angelica, New York, where many of their descendants have since lived. The subject of this sketch was descended from Alexander d'Autremont, whose son Charles retired from business at an early age and continued to reside at Angelica until his death in 1891. Mr. d'Autremont's mother was a daughter of Judge John Collins, of Angelica. Judge Collins was a native of Connecticut. His wife was Ann Gregory, an English woman. He was a lieutenant in the army in the war of 1812. After the close of the war he, with others, purchased a large tract of land in Allegheny County and moved there, to practice his profession, and dispose of his land. Charles d'Autremont, Jr., was born at Angelica, on June 2, 1851. He commenced his education at Angelica Academy, and in 1868 entered the freshman class at Cornell University. On account of ill health he left college at the end of his junior year and went to Lausanne, Switzerland, and entered the Academy there. Upon his return to America in 1872 he commenced the study of law in the office of his uncle, Judge John G. Collins, at Angelica. After reading with Judge Collins for a year Mr. d'Autremont went to New York and entered Columbia Law School, from which he graduated in the spring of 1875. After a summer in Europe he entered the law office of Hart & McGuire, at Elmira, New York. Two years later he opened an office of his own. In 1879 he again visited Europe. The fall of 1882 found Mr. d'Autremont a resident of Duluth. It came about by chance. On his way east from a hunting trip on the Little Missouri, Mr. d'Autremont happened to miss the steamer at Duluth, and was compelled to wait over several days. This delay afforded an opportunity of meeting the people of the town, and he was so pleased with them, and so favorably impressed with the place that, immediately upon reaching home, he packed up hi belongings and returned with his family to Duluth. In politics Mr. d'Autremont has been steadfastly and consistently a Democrat. While at Elmira he was a member of the Board of Supervisors of Chemung County. In 1884 he was elected county attorney of St. Louis County, Minnesota. Four years after he was